Sunday, July 28, 2013

Boursin Cheese - A Tasty Treat On A Sandwich

I've been busy cooking, harvesting from the garden and baking breads for the freezer.  The other day I ran across a recipe, ploughing through some of my old cookbooks, that I had not made in years but is oh so delicious called "Boursin Cheese"!  We lived in Hanover, NH for about five years back in the 80's and one of our favorite restaurants was "Peter Christian's" which was located a block from the Dartmouth Common in the basement of a downtown commercial building.

Peter Christian's had wonderful sandwiches, soups and desserts that served the local Dartmouth community for many years.  They also had a restaurant in New London,  and Keene, NH but I guess that New London is the only location that is now still in business also having gone through a couple of owners from what I learned by reading their website.  Anyway, I acquired the only two cookbooks they put out at the time and I would guess you would have to hunt FOREVER to find a copy of either one but one of our favorite recipes was Boursin Cheese.

"Peter Christian's Recipes" by Shirley Edes and Julia Philipson, Pub. 1983
"Peter Christian's Favorites" by Shirley Edes and Julia Philipson, Pub. 1987

This is so simple but adds a wonderful taste to beef, pastrami or even chicken sandwiches.  Here it is for your enjoyment.......



Beat or blend with a fork until smooth.

8 oz. softened cream cheese
1 T. lemon juice
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. basil
1/2 t. dill
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 t. parsley
1/2 t. celery salt

I eliminated the celery salt because I did not have any.
I added lots of grated lemon rind and a bit more lemon juice plus chopped fine green onion tops.
Blend well, spread on your favorite sandwich and enjoy!



I think for a trip down "nostalgia lane" I might just try making some of their other recipes.  I'll let you know how they go and post if they turn out well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment