Wednesday, November 14, 2012

"Growing Onion Tops in Winter"

I ran across this idea on Pinterest about the time we were putting our garden to bed for the winter and I wasn't sure what to do with all the scallions I still had growing.  Pull them up and replant in flower pots and  boxes and watch them grow throughout the winter!  You can't pull them from the flower pots, too bad because I like the white parts too, but you can cut them almost to the white parts and use the tops!  They keep regrowing over and over and over!  Just don't cut down into the white but just to where the green grows out of the white and you'll have new shoots in a couple of days and by the end of a week you'll have a whole new crop to cut.


I planted these one at a time......then I planted the next pot the same way.


I found as many pots I had available and proceeded to plant onions!
They need lots of sun so I was off on a search as to where I could put them and where they would be handy for harvesting.


With this big pot I decided "what the heck" just planted a big clump of them I pulled from the garden!
This second cutting I also decided to plant some seeds around the perimeter of this pot so I'll see if I get new onions in a few weeks.


This is the second harvest just off the large clump of onions in the big pot above.  Dampen a paper towel slightly, roll the towel around the onion tops and place in a plastic bag and store in the refrigerator.  They keep for many days but I bet you'll be finding ways to use them before they go bad!


Eggs sunny side up with chopped green onions and a sprinkling of cheese this morning....yum!
I also like red pepper chili/garlic sauce on mine for breakfast, Greek Yogurt and fresh baked No-Knead bread (recipe below) - super yum! 

Enjoy your green onion tops!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this post...
    There is nothing like the feeling of
    "putting the gardens to bed" for the cold months ahead. Winter can come now.
    And even better with fresh "greens" on the sill.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete